Friday, July 13, 2012

Kneading, and Dinner for a Dollar

So, yesterday I was present while two ladies were discussing whether KitchenAid or Bosch was better for kneading bread.  Not having ever owned either, nor my mother or grandmother, I couldn't tell you.  I just use good old-fashioned elbow grease, though it is also an art.  There are lots of youtube shots of kneading out there, but I've made my own contribution to the genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXA4yoBs_AM

As for our din-din, I backed off my menu plan and just made ramen.  But, I want to contribute our ideas for how to make ramen a little more like a meal.  I thought most people doctor up their ramen or canned soups, but asking some neighbors it seems that it never occurred to them.  So I'll put this out there.

I put frozen veggies in the water while it comes to a boil so that they're done when the noodles are; I also often crack an egg or two into the boiling water along with the noodles.  Lastly, I'm not a huge fan of miso myself, but my family likes it and so I often throw in some of that as well after I've taken the pot off the heat.  (You don't want to boil it directly, it's got beneficial microorganisms.)  So you end up with veggies, a little protein and such, and probiotics.  (OK, and MSG, sorry.)  But not bad for a cheap, quick meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment