Saturday, January 4, 2014

Flourishing: Making Strides

In looking back over 2013, I think I've met a goal or two, and put myself out there in a few new and scary ways. Here's my quick review, to at least get 2014 started for Karrot Soup.

One of my main goals -- or at least the one I can remember having worked on, which amounts to the same thing -- was to write 50,000 words during the year. I have a private document where I do prompts and freewrites, and it shows a word count of over 40,000; I'm hoping that other things I've written (such as this blog, as well as my old-fashioned pen-and-ink journal) put me over the goal. I think it's bound to be close enough to count, don't you?

That was a nice measurable goal, and it turns out that looking over my year, it's the thing I'm most proud of. Strangely, though, I'm not sure what exactly I can show for it. This blog, I suppose, and my first published essay. Writing is certainly not a quick process, the more I do it the more I realize how true that is!!

I've also been pondering just a little about my hidden strengths, and shouldn't be surprised that they often tie into my weaknesses. For example, as I've gained more and more practice in forgiveness over the course of my life, I'm finding that it's growing into one of my greatest strengths; but since I also so frequently get frustrated with others, it remains a hidden gift, as it mostly just counteracts my irritation and brings me up to par for basic societal/parental interactions...

But, in the spirit of hope and renewal, I will call it the gift that it is, and continue to cultivate it. And I will thank you all for your patience with me and the many times you have likely forgiven me as well. Happy New Year, may you flourish in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment