Saturday, January 25, 2014

Flourishing: Distractions

I've been rather indulging myself this month, taking some bigger chunks of time to hibernate, read, and absorb rather than bringing anything up from my own deeps. I guess that's not a bad way to spend a frigid January full of snow days for the kids, and as a matter of fact, I don't feel guilty at all. I feel a tad sad for my empty blog, but not disappointed in my lower expectations.

As a compromise post, I thought I'd fill you in on a little of what I've been distracted by.

Most of my post-college life, I've turned away from fiction and have instead devoured nonfiction. I've attributed it to needing to fill a learning gap after finally finishing those 16 years of nonstop school; it's also been thrilling to choose my own subjects of interest and dig into them (as you probably know if you're my friend and/or a blog reader). But I was given a pair of books for Christmas, and I've since found myself unexpectedly and enjoyably engrossed in a military-science-fiction series. It has 13 books in the original series plus 4 or more whole sub-series, but I think I'll stop with these first two, since they really rather took over my life!

Also, Bejeweled 3. I should feel embarrassed by the amount of time I've spent on that game since my (ahem) daughter received it for her ninth birthday...but I don't. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's a lot like the Candy Crush craze I'm seeing on facebook, so I know I'm not alone. If you wonder where the rest of my deep flourishing posts have gone, they've probably been overcome by the Bejeweled 3 habit. (Not addiction, I promise! I spend about an hour a week, according to my stats. And unlike Candy Crush, it's completely free, no premium add-ons.)

On top of that, I've been slowly working through a book of logic puzzles as well as doing some lumosity training. It has felt good to spend some mental stretch time without an end purpose in mind, and I'm going to let it ride until I feel good and driven to pick up some meaty subjects again.

No comments:

Post a Comment