Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving and Black Friday

I fell asleep last night just full, full, of that real gratitude that humbles you as you realize how much you have compared to how much you deserve.  Most of all, I'm humbled by the people that I love and that love me in return -- what an amazing gift.  Thank you.



Thanksgiving menu chez nous:

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Sweet potatoes with pineapple sauce
Green beans
Fresh veggie platter, with ranch and hummus to dip
Cranberry sauce
Rolls

(Nothing from a can, box, or bag except for the can of pineapple and the green beans were frozen.  And the veggie dips.)

Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Sour cream-walnut pie
Whipped cream
Vanilla ice cream

We took a trip to the park in between, it was such a beautiful day -- that was almost our favorite part of the holiday.

Not counting the pies (because anyone who doesn't love pie can't be our friends), S.'s favorite dinner food was the rolls, and mine was the sweet potatoes.  The kids voted for rolls, cranberry sauce, turkey, and mashed potatoes respectively.  Our guests nearly unanimously proclaimed the rolls and the turkey tip-top, so I'll share a recipe.

OATS N' WHEAT DINNER ROLLS
 
3 - 3 1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. oats
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 T yeast
2 c. milk
6 T. butter
2 eggs
2 c. whole wheat flour




 
Combine 2 c. flour, oats, sugar, salt, and yeast.  Heat milk and butter until very warm (but butter need not completely melt), add to flour mixture.  Add eggs.  Blend with a mixer 2 min.  Stir in whole wheat flour and additional all-purpose flour.  Knead, let rise till double, shape into 24 balls and place in a greased 10x15 pan with a lip/sides, let rise until nearly double.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 min.


And then, I've gradually been won over to Black Friday shopping by my in-laws, though I still have my own style to it. (I remain a minimalist consumer while they make it an all-day, stock-up-for-the-year event.) Today I ran over to the department store -- and got there while there were still a few parking spots!! -- and got S. his annual resupply of work clothes, as well as these babies for myself. I am such a laggard in style, that this will be my first pair of non-work boots, I'm SO stoked. The picture is awful, but they're faux suede and the best dark-gray-almost-a-tinge-of-brown color I could hope for. Really, really sweet. Forgive me for getting dreamy-eyed for a moment, but they were $25. I've already spent that much over the last few years trying to get thrift store boots that look good, so I think it's a win.




No comments:

Post a Comment