Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Rocks Are Sad and Happy

We had ramen last night, except for S., who was enjoying his second binge day on this diet.  He had a big taco salad and hot chocolate and a bunch of pumpkin pie with whipped cream...but I digress.

I'd like to write another flourishing post, but I started a draft yesterday and I don't think it's going to come together quite yet.  So, I think I might just like to post a favorite scripture.

"Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?  Go forward and not backward.  Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory!  Let your hearts rejoice and be exceedingly glad.  Let the earth break forth into singing.  Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of the their prison; for the prisoners shall go free.
"Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your Eternal King! And ye rivers, and brooks, and rills, flow down with gladness.  Let the woods and all the trees of the field praise the Lord; and ye solid rocks weep for joy! And let the sun, moon, and the morning stars sing together, and let all the sons of God shout for joy!  And let the eternal creations declare his name forever and ever!  And again I say,how glorious is the voice we hear from heaven, proclaiming in our ears, glory, and salvation, and honor, and immortality, and eternal life; kingdoms, principalities, and powers!"
D&C 128:22-23

There are so many things I love about this scripture -- its fist-pumping energy, of course, and its references to the world/nature almost as its own living being that will speak and act to praise the Lord.  I also love some of the little obvious "duh" moments, like "go forward and not backward".  Excellent, I'll just go forward, then -- but which way is that, again?  Oh yeah, follow all the singing stars and such, natch.

I also like the part where it mentions solid rocks weeping for joy, because it always makes me think of a really awesome poem by Richard Wilbur:

“A Christmas Hymn” (for Palm Sunday)

And as he rode along, they spread their cloaks on the road. As he was drawing near—already on the way down the Mount of Olives—the whole multitude of his disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, saying, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.”
A stable-lamp is lighted
Whose glow shall wake the sky;
The stars shall bend their voices,
And every stone shall cry.
And every stone shall cry,
And straw like gold shall shine;
A barn shall harbor heaven,
A stall become a shrine.

This child through David’s city
Shall ride in triumph by;
The palm shall strew its branches,
And every stone shall cry.
And every stone shall cry,
Though heavy, dull, and dumb,
And lie within the roadway
To pave his kingdom come.

Yet he shall be forsaken,
And yielded up to die;
The sky shall groan and darken,
And every stone shall cry.
And every stone shall cry
For stony hearts of men:
God’s blood upon the spearhead,
God’s love refused again.

But now, as at the ending,
The low is lifted high;
The stars shall bend their voices,
And every stone shall cry.
And every stone shall cry
In praises of the child
By whose descent among us
The worlds are reconciled.


Why are these things on my mind?  Well, I am the daughter of a Borderline mother, and so sometimes feel a little like those rocks -- heavy, dull, and dumb, and yet I will weep for joy in the end because of Him.  


Borderline refers to Borderline Personality Disorder, which disproportionately affects women, and hence many, many mothers.  Things are getting noticeably worse with my own, in terms of her ability to function in relationships and understand emotions, and so she did something rather cruel to my family this weekend, though she doesn't perceive it that way.  Luckily, we love her tons, and the daughter mainly involved seems to have taken it well.  If you read back through my Tenderness post, you might see some layers about how I've come to where I am today in terms of kindness, forgiveness, and understanding that I have my own relationship with my Heavenly Father that doesn't rely on someone else's approval.  I have a long way to go still, but I am so eternally grateful for the times I've felt loved by my friends, my children, my parents, and my husband, and for what they've taught me about the reality of my Savior's love as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment