Monday, June 4, 2012

Roots and Friendship

Hawaiian haystacks.  Though, I completely forgot that we would want fresh tomatoes, so S. suggested we substitute canned -- it didn't ruin it, but neither did it help.  Also, Sunday dinners are now supposed to be with kids making as much of the meal as they can, but yesterday we had a child in tears because S. got so caught up in all the fun toppings, grating cheese, etc. that he left the child behind in the dust.

Living a fruitful, frugal life -- today I'm thinking about friendships, networks, and the way those can be one of the greatest blessings AND money-savers.  We've now lived in this area for 6 years, which is the longest we've ever spent anywhere, and I am so incredibly grateful to have built up relationships here that provide joy and opportunities to give and receive service.

I've never been one who feels like I fit in easily, and it's really taken the full 5 or 6 years to get to a point of trusting my peers enough to ask them for help and to have the confidence to be myself; but I'm grateful to the Lord (and my husband, who struggles with staying put) that I've been able to do that.  It's still hard -- I still annoy and offend, and get annoyed and lonely in return -- but there is patience and forgiveness here for me among my friends and neighbors.

My kids have doors they know they can always knock on; we've been able to borrow all sorts of tools and even riding mowers when we have repairs or projects; people will swap playdates, child care and carpooling without counting up who "owes"; I've gotten sweet, unexpected gifts on my birthday this year and last.  I don't need to go out and spend money, for the most part, to find companionship and fun.  Neither S. nor I have a really, really good friend close by (besides each other), but I feel deeply blessed to have lived somewhere long enough to put down roots and make those essential connections with others.

Thank you, all my wonderful folks!!  You're worth millions!


No comments:

Post a Comment