Sunday, November 29, 2009

Real Milk

I'm not sure I can express fully what I'm learning in a new book I picked up, called Real Food, or if it's really time for me to share it before I've finished reading, but as my husband can attest to, I'm full to bursting with astonishing new ideas.

I've only read the first part, which is basically about the true nature of milk. Even with a healthy dash of skepticism it's amazing stuff. I've never seen or tasted "real" milk -- raw milk -- and, unappealing as it sounds to my pasteurized, homogenized soul, I can't throw out all the author's claims since I've only ever seen industrial factory milk, not farm milk. And she does make some really far-out magical claims, but they're so fascinating...

I'll have to let you know how it goes. Two other things about reading this book: I bought my first free-range eggs and sausage (triple the price of regular, I won't be doing that very often), though I haven't tasted them yet; and second, it makes me hungry every single time I read. Very dangerous...

And neither here nor there, I wish I had known years ago how absolutely easy and delicious homemade cranberry sauce was. No more canned ever. The recipe was just written on the package, and I finally bothered to look! Bring 1 cup each water and sugar to boil, add 3 cups fresh (or frozen) cranberries, and simmer for 10 minutes. So easy, and fun to watch the berries pop and mush and turn such a cool neon color as they cook.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about this book! Perhaps I'll pick up a copy myself...

    --Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book! We started our own backyard flock of chickens last year for the eggs. I can't say that we've saved money with this venture, but we've ended up with some very fun pets who also make us breakfast.

    ReplyDelete