Sunday, July 26, 2009

Too Much

This week I even outcooked myself, and wished that I did keep store-bought items on hand just in case.  I made two loaves worth of fried scones, a big batch of rice pudding, cucumber sushi (see recipe on the side), baked beans from dry beans, 2 dozen blueberry muffins, two homemade pizzas, sesame noodles, biscuits and, to top it off, tons of bread pudding from two other loaves of bread I had accidentally left in the oven for two hours while we were out of the house.  I also brought a meal to someone with a new baby.

I'm really tired.  Maybe we'll just live on plain rice this week or something.


But, in the meantime, here's the picture of my new yearly tradition, cucumber sushi.

 I'm not a big fan of seaweed, so I was quite pleased to run across this recipe last year.  It's delicious and beautiful all at once, and a nice way to use cucumbers when your garden has too many and you're running out of ideas.  This year I forgot to add the ginger in with the rice, and so I dug out an old box of candied ginger I had for some reason or other.  I put little bits on top of the sushi, and it was such an amazing improvement, both visually and for the taste buds.  Marvelous!  I'll never do it any other way now.

So whether it's too much cooking from scratch or simply too many cucumbers, that's my food theme for the week.  Hopefully this coming week it will be called something like "Easy, Simple, and Quick".

No comments:

Post a Comment