Monday, January 5, 2015

Book Picks of the Year

According to my Goodreads stats, I read about 31 books in 2014. The lengthiest was Nassim Nicholas Taleb's Antifragile, but my favorite -- the only one I gave a full five stars to -- was The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown. (An excellent read, if you haven't already picked it up.)

I'm looking through the list because tomorrow night is our annual planning session for the book club I participate in, and we'll each bring any books we want to recommend for 2015 and choose from among them. I always wrack my brain a little, because there's only so much overlap between my interests and genre preferences and everyone else's, and because often the books I would feel most comfortable recommending were ones I read at book club in the first place.

But here on my blog, I can happily recommend off-the-wall food and nutrition books without shame. So I'm pleased to proclaim that I found two food-related books I enjoyed in 2014. The first was Fear of Food: A History of Why We Worry about What We Eat, by Harvey Levenstein, and the second was The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements, by Sandor Ellix Katz. They were both entertaining in their own way (though, in the case of Katz's book, unintentionally at times) and illuminated all sorts of fascinating nooks and crannies of the way we ourselves relate to our food and, more importantly, assume everyone else always has. They both have a thumbnail link on my Reading List page in the sidebar.

Enjoy, and happy eating in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment