Friday, July 19, 2013

Bologna

I've never liked bologna. Hot dogs either, for that matter, though I've learned to put up with them from time to time. But cheap it is, so I bought some the other day, to see if my kids will eat it. (And I'm sure when they do, I'll think of all the pop culture associations: it has a first name, Cinderella Man gives his piece up for his hungry kid, etc.)

That's really tangential, though, to my real thrust this week in terms of teasing out cheap food. I sat down with a notebook and calculator to try to rough out the exact spending range for our most common or favorite meals, and there were a few surprises.

One of our very priciest? Our beloved Sunday pancakes. Made from scratch, and with a package of bacon and the whole jar of applesauce we typically go through, it runs us about $8.75. And when I bit my lip and checked out the add-water, warehouse-sized mix to see what it ran, I was shocked to discover that it was about half the unit price of my homemade batch. That seemed morally wrong somehow!

Another favorite, Cuban black beans, also ran us a surprising $8 per meal. I keep thinking dry beans are the cheapest food out there, but adding all the fantastic toppings must counteract that.

The most cost-effective meals, however, won't raise any eyebrows: ramen noodles and boxed mac n' cheese don't have their reputations for nothin'! Even adding in a package of frozen vegetables to round out the food groups, such a meal would feed six of us for about $3. (Leaving the miso out of that ramen calculation, though.)

So...should we start eating ramen on Sundays instead of bacon? Should I cave to the anti-oatmeal majority and grab that mongo bag of Krusteaz mix to cook up for breakfast? Food and finances at odds...moral fabric tearing...oh...no

Luckily, I think we can still have it both ways. Cutting out bacon (steeped in nitrates as it is) will probably bring us budget and conscience relief, and I think I can make peace with occasional pancakes-from-a-mix. I don't look forward to ramen, but the kids all would, and that's not a bad compromise in exchange for putting up with some other simplified meals they might not have picked.


Next on the chopping block: snack foods. Ooh, boy, there's a budget black hole if ever there was one...

No comments:

Post a Comment