Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Lunch Today

My reward for 2 1/2 or so hours out in the garden this morning, trying to beat the arrival of a heat wave and uncover my poor little seedlings inundated by weeds, is a fresh salad from my lettuce thinnings and a couple of pieces of sour, yeast-free bread* that I've toasted up with butter and honey. Certainly not my normal fare, but a nice lunch for the beginning of summer.

I have no idea what I'm feeding my family for the rest of this week, I have uncharacteristically not planned any menus yet, so we're scrambling a bit. But there's your little window onto my mealtime for today.

*It is leavened and loaf-shaped, in case you're imagining something supremely odd-looking; it rises by lactobacilli from yogurt which is what my sourdough starter contains. Most of my sourdough loaves use yeast to speed up the process a bit and to moderate the sourness, but I've tried a long, slow batch or two lately without the yeast. We're not really used to the extra-sour punch of it, so the kids aren't fans, but it's interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment