Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day


Mother’s Day is a pretty impossible holiday. No news there, really. It should be simple and straightforward, everyone HAS a mother (or has had) or they wouldn’t be here, and they can find a way to honor her. But in actuality, it means that difficult relationships get highlighted; shattered or waylaid dreams get dragged into the light; and the cute-beautiful perfection of the ideal weighs on everyone.

I had a wonderful Mother’s Day yesterday. My husband and kids were the best company I could ever ask for. Yet, of course, today the reality and contrast of normal life is sinking back in. I’ve had some horrible Mother’s Days in the past, as well as wonderful ones, and in either case there’s never a good way to transition to and from. 

The lack of my own mother is also creeping in now that I’m alone again this morning, hence I'm sitting here with tears on my face. I left her a kind voice message which I’d like to think wasn’t pointless, but I can't hang around and wait for closure. Moving on, hopefully onward and upward.


1 comment:

  1. I know that feeling. Mother's Day is tough for me too but for different reasons. You have such a sweet and loving family, I hope they are some comfort.

    ReplyDelete