Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Money Questions

According to this government report I ran across, the average person spends $2.70 per meal. I crunched our family's numbers, and for 2010 we spent less than a dollar per person per meal. 97 cents, to be exact, if we pretend that we don't eat any snacks (it just divided out so nicely I left it at that) and presuming equal consumption for each family member (which of course is ridiculous).

I love details, so bear with me: that included any eating out, school/work lunches, extra holiday goodies, AND meals while traveling or on vacation, with the small exception of fancy restaurants on our anniversary or Valentine's Day. It included all food bought both at traditional grocery stores and also the stuff bought at dollar stores, non-super-Walmarts, etc. In addition, it included the price of the seeds for our garden and the cost of the water I used to water it. Yes, I'm an anal record-keeper.

I tend to ignore money stuff on this blog, but it really does fascinate me and I wish I could compare with more people in terms of frugality and not just great recipes. How many of your best, most colorful and mouthwatering recipes are also cheap? And involve little preparation -- ha, a stingy mother's dream, right? I suppose I should also ask what splurges are worth it, too. Is there any interest in the occasional post on food budgeting? I realize I'm talking to, like, 2 or 3 people, one of whom probably hears plenty at the dinner table already.
"This looks wonderful, honey! You feed us so well." (He's always so complimentary, what a husband I snagged. Not to mention it's a good example for the kids...)
"Guess how much it cost to make?!!" Really, he puts up with a lot :)

Anyway, just assessing for the new year. And, ironically, procrastinating making dinner.




6 comments:

  1. I wish I was more like you! I've been doing better recently to buy things in season, stock up when things are on sale, and use coupons (sometimes), but I'm still not great at budgeting. Also, food is a *big* deal for my husband's family--they'd rather spend extra to get good food, which means that some of our favorite recipes can be pricey. But I'm all for good *and* cheap . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I save tns by making a menu and also incorporating my food storage into meals. I am too lazy to do the figures right now:) I splurge on pomegrantes every winter and think it is worth it. I find the best deals but it is abnormal for me to spend $1.50-$2.00 on 1 fruit and typically buy 6 or so every 2 weeks during the peak season. The kids love them as well and they can share a big one. It is only one time a year so I like to splurge on them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. That is amazing. I would personally love to hear any and all wisdom you have to offer on this subject, cause I'm pretty sure I spend about $5 per meal. Course, that might be partly due to my tendency to skip meal prep altogether and dine at the Cougareat instead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all true. She is a whirling dervish of frugal nutrition. The only part that isn't true is the part where I call her "Honey." I have called her some pretty sickening things over the years, but never that (or "Babe." I don't get that one either).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am behind on monthly budgets so I can only report through October, but we spent about $1.12 per person per meal last summer, not including Charlie and yes including Bob. Now you have my curiosity piqued as to how my more recent numbers would crunch. Bob leaving dropped our grocery bill quite a bit. Increasing fresh produce raised the bill while dropping meat and dairy simultaneously lowered it. If you really are curious, I will let you know once I calculate the past couple months' costs. I have to admit, though, that I find myself more willing to spend money on food these days, in order to get the quality stuff. I can only dream of harnessing the power of a garden like yours someday. Also, I think you need a plaque for your kitchen that reads "whirling dervish of frugal nutrition." I don't think they sell those at craft boutiques so maybe I will make you one. =) As always, you are simply inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahahahaha.... good idea, Tiff!
    And Scott, what's wrong with "Babe"? Sweet term, AWESOME movie!

    Ignorance is necessary (if not blissful) out here when it comes to our per-person average. Let's just say I repurpose an alarming amount of Costco quinoa. I try to buy as much produce as I can without killing our food budget, but I don't venture out to the farmer's market. And I feel sad about that.

    ReplyDelete